homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:43:09 EDT

> >For example, the writing
> teacher's kids were writing stuff that was being published -- in the
> local paper, in kids publications, and in the school.

Fine. And when it got to be 11:15 and time for the math teacher, what did
they do? Did they say, "Ah, we're really into this writing right now, let's
take up that math next week."

You think writing was being taught, and so you think that is a success.

What was really being taught is outside validation (being published) is the
goal. For example, take that child's work to a paper or magazine and don't
identify the writer. Would it be published? Likely not. Try it sometime.
But
"Ah this is cute, it's from Ms. Zilch's writing class so let's be cute too
and
publish it." Enough of that and the child learns to work for that outside
validation all their lives rather than work for a goal that they internally
deem
to be worthy.

In the real world of creative and productive people, life isn't divided up
into artificial segments. When the bell rings and the children are told to
shuffle off to math class and abandon their writing, they are being told that
nothing is so important that it is worth finishing ... nothing so important
that
it can command you whole and entire attention until you see it through. This
is very convenient for government and industry because after enough of this
conditioning, they can turn your attenion on and off like a light switch ..
and
they do on a regular basis.

</HTML>