homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:07:52 -0500

On Jun 13, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

We don't need more government, we need
more
personal responsibility!

How shall we do that?

We need to quit protecting people from the consequences of their bad choices
(for one thing).

Agreed. I think motorcycle riders should not be required to wear helmets. But considering they might squash their brains, shall we just let them die unassisted or might we consider requiring that they have adequate insurance to pay for patching them up and then the maintenance of their vegetative state? More complicated, how shall we deal with the needs of their children thus deprived of a wage-earning father or mother?

For example, we don't regulate what people eat, not much
anyway. If a person wants to sit on their backside and eat cheeseburgers and
twinkies all their days, fine, that's their prerogative. But then the
government shouldn't mandate that such people be issued health insurance policies nor
allow them parking permits right beside the front door of the mart because they
are "handicapped".

Great. How shall we compensate those who lead healthful lifestyles rather than penalizing them to pay for the medical problems of those who eat cheeseburgers four times a day?

Instead look what's happening, if a person has been frugal with their assests
the government tries to tax and regulate them out of existence but if they
have been God's own fool and gotten themselves on the brink of foreclosure and
bankruptcy, the goverment rushes to bail them out.

As the government does for certain very large businesses.

It was discovered that lepers lost their fingers and toes, not because of the
direct affects of the disease, but because the disease dulled pain in the
extremities so much, they could not tell when they were hurting themselves and so
wore and abused their digits until they fell off. Like that, we have worked
to dull the effect of very bad personal choices with the result that people
grind their entire lives down never feeling the full pain of those choices. </HTML>

How shall we amend that?