homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:21:21 -0800

How did your child(ren) learn to walk and talk? Did you help by being available or did you do it all for them?

For starters, you stop *giving* people things and start making them *earn* them.

Give them the tools instead of simply doing things for them.

As to homeschooling. LOTS of folks work and homeschool! Lots!

"incapable of understanding or guiding the process" That's right back to the thinking that got us in this mess to begin with. If public school is working so well and the government is working so well, then why would you think that the products of that system wouldn't be capable of understanding or replicating the "process." Not, mind you, that I think the process needs to be either understood or used!

Gene, and others, why is that when you need to do something or learn something you seem to have no problem finding what you need to teach yourself what you need to know or find someone to help you do it and yet you find it incomprehensible that children, who are a whole lot smarter than the tired old brains of older folks, are capable of doing the same? Or that parents, once all the nanny state crap is removed, won't just stand up and do what needs to be done?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

How shall we do that?

I'm sure you don't want to hear it again, but, ya know, the amazing
thing
about homeschooling, and unschooling in particular, is that it
succeeds
without Big Brother sitting and looking over someone's shoulder
telling them
what to do, when to do it and how to do it.

I am a strong advocate of homeschooling and unschooling. Who shall do
this for the children whose parents are both working out of the home
and/or are simply incapable of understanding or guiding the process?