homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:18:21 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

How dare you! Shame on you! You ASSUME! I have said clearly that I am
an advocate of homeschooling and nonschooling. I find the public
school system in great need of improvement.

***But you continually question the ability of the "average" person to homeschool or unschool. It is that mind set that makes many not try. They are continually bombarded with the "you can't if" and the list is long. Or "the look" with the raised eyebrows. Average parents are better than the public school system.

snip<
Lynda, I am proud to know you. You are a great story. I applaud you
and all that your family and you have accomplished.

Your parents' character is far above average. What character-istics of
your parents would you say most contributed to your success? And how
do you feel they got them?

***Oh, I don't think so. They were pretty much the average, at least where we were all from. Loggers, fishermen, farmers. People who did for themselves and didn't want or expect the government to do it for them.

We need a whole bunch less government and a whole bunch more personal
responsibility!

We are on the same page. Personal responsibility is easy to say; it is
hard to instill in those who have no role model or other example to
inspire them. The well-known multi-generational welfare recipients
illustrates the paradox.

***O.K., they got rid of the multi-generational welfare family about 10 years or so ago. Can't happen now except in very rare instances. So that's a non-starter.

In all honesty, I don't see any change until we dismantle the public school system. Simple as that! If people are trained to be sheople there will be less sheople who expect the nanny state.

The nanny state and the closer one is to it the more apathy you have.

Ya know, I find it very interesting the difference in the reactions of people in various parts of the country to natural disasters. Take the fires here, the floods going on now and the aftermath of Katrina. It perfectly illustrates the result of the nanny state. The more successful the government and schools are in their real work (creating a need), the less resilient and able to help themselves the people are.

Watch the news now and you'll see people helping themselves and their neighbors. No one is sitting around waiting for someone else to take care of them. No one is waiting for FEMA to rescue them. Neighbors helping neighbors.

It is the lack of the expectation of someone doing it for you that comes into play. Personal responsibility. Choice, simply making a choice not to sit around and wait for someone else to do it.

Although, I really haven't figured out why some of us who have no expectations of help or have had a long history of being abused by the government don't sit around whining and some do. One of the great mysteries in life <g>