homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:29:32 -0500

On Jun 14, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:

I understand the history, the motivation, the logic. I can see how
homeschooling and unschooling would be most helpful to many children.
I have strong reservations that it would work in areas where some
children are trying to do good things while surrounded by gangs
pushing them around, taunting them, recruiting them, training them to
be good gang members. It seems to me that urban gangs are in fact a
result of lack of guidance, of extreme unschooling. What these
children learn is how to survive in a criminal atmosphere.

I need to add that, yes, I am here using an example of extremely bad social conditions.

I need to add that there are many parents who are quite happy with the public school system and are simply not interested in their children being homeschooled or unschooled. I read of parents today who, before their child is born, have their entire educational lives mapped out. They often use Montessori or Waldorf schools and prep schools, but many also purposefully put their children in public schools for reasons they find valid. That they are very serious about this is proven by the large sums of money they pay.