homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:23:56 -0500

On Jun 13, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Lynda wrote:

How did your child(ren) learn to walk and talk? Did you help by being
available or did you do it all for them?

Walking is a physical skill. Most any primate learns on its own. Talking may well be learned without instruction but the result may be unnaccepatable. To talk with acceptable grammar we need to either hear it or read it or be taught it.

For starters, you stop *giving* people things and start making them *earn*
them.

To what does this relate?

Give them the tools instead of simply doing things for them.

Great. What if the parents don't have or can't afford the tools?

As to homeschooling. LOTS of folks work and homeschool! Lots!

All levels of society? Seems to me that parents who make the choice to homeschool are above average.

"incapable of understanding or guiding the process" That's right back to
the thinking that got us in this mess to begin with. If public school is
working so well and the government is working so well, then why would you
think that the products of that system wouldn't be capable of understanding
or replicating the "process." Not, mind you, that I think the process needs
to be either understood or used!

So, just turn them free and believe and hope for the best.

Gene, and others, why is that when you need to do something or learn
something you seem to have no problem finding what you need to teach
yourself what you need to know or find someone to help you do it

AFTER we have become mature.

and yet you
find it incomprehensible that children, who are a whole lot smarter than the
tired old brains of older folks, are capable of doing the same?

I don't find it incomprehensible. I find it questionable that all parents can do it successfully.

Or that
parents, once all the nanny state crap is removed, won't just stand up and
do what needs to be done?

How many examples do you need? Walk through any housing project for starters. Then walk through the barrios. Then observe the home lives of children whose parents are working minimum-wage jobs. All children deserve the opportunity to rise above their beginnings.