homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:58:33 -0800

It is a slope we've created. We being the public schools and the government. There is slim or little need for about 99.9% of what the government does. They have created a need and they fill it.

People aren't generally that naive or that dense. They have been trained to be sheople and to sit quietly and the government will take care of it for them.

What we must do better is making people take responsibility for their own actions! The nanny state needs to go the way of the dandy, the corset and other nonsense of the past! We don't need more government, we need more personal responsibility!

I'm sure you don't want to hear it again, but, ya know, the amazing thing about homeschooling, and unschooling in particular, is that it succeeds without Big Brother sitting and looking over someone's shoulder telling them what to do, when to do it and how to do it.

And what is failing? No matter how much money and regulation you throw at it?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

That's fair. It is also a slope down which those more naive than you
and I will fall. Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that
there is an appalling number of people, not just the young, who are
very limited in their decision making ability. I do not like it as an
argument for regulation but, truth be told, the shysters of the world
would have a heyday if given free rein. The poor, who are often in
that state because of limited intelligence and lack of real world
conditioning, would become even poorer. Comes to mind the payday
lenders who charge outrageous interest on very short-term loans. Free
and unfettered capitalism. But those who fall prey are lost, even
faster lost than those who mire themselves in credit card debt.
Somehow we must do better.