homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:40:21 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Surely what they learn is what is around them. If they are surrounded
by disorder and criminality is that not what they would learn?

***Gene, that simply is not a valid argument. Nope, nadda, nein, nit, never! <g>

99.999% of the criminals, both incarcerated AND uncaught, are the product of the public school system or the private school system. Providing a kiddy prison does more to prepare them for adult prison than it does to education them in the ways of expanind their minds and learning the 3 Rs.

snip<

I understand the history, the motivation, the logic. I can see how
homeschooling and unschooling would be most helpful to many children.
I have strong reservations that it would work in areas where some
children are trying to do good things while surrounded by gangs
pushing them around, taunting them, recruiting them, training them to
be good gang members. It seems to me that urban gangs are in fact a
result of lack of guidance, of extreme unschooling. What these
children learn is how to survive in a criminal atmosphere.

***You've just described the average public school. The average public school where teachers break the law with impunity. Where children learn how to bully and those bullied quickly learn that there are no consequences for the bully.

The public school system is the training grounds for gangs. How to bully, how to manipulate the system, how to cheat and get rewarded (sports' stars comes to mind) and so forth and so on.