homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> I understand the history, the motivation, the logic.
> I can see how
> homeschooling and unschooling would be most helpful
> to many children.
> I have strong reservations that it would work in
> areas where some
> children are trying to do good things while
> surrounded by gangs
> pushing them around, taunting them, recruiting them,
> training them to
> be good gang members. It seems to me that urban
> gangs are in fact a
> result of lack of guidance, of extreme unschooling.
> What these
> children learn is how to survive in a criminal
> atmosphere.

Perhaps the most important thing concept in learning
is to want to learn.
And it is obvious that this is a shortcoming of the
public, actually any school system.
I'm sure that all of us grew up in environments where
learning was valued. We learned in from parents and
or others that influenced us.
Is this something children will automatically learn
growing up in an environment where nobody values
learning?
Van Dell