homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:26:30 EDT

> >It is also a slope down which those more naive than you
> and I will fall

That is, alas, perfectly true and your example of the payday lenders (and
HELOC lenders) are an eloquent testimony to the general level of foolishness.

But, says I, it is a state we have encouraged. Used to be famililes and
communities and churches and such looked out for one another. Anyone
contemplating anything serious would consult those the trusted and those with
good track
records.

I well remember pleading with a neighbor that she didn't understand, if she
"took the increased equity" out of her house, that was simply a $60K loan she
would have to pay back. No, I was told, that's just money that has appeard
like magic in the light sockets and faucets of the house. She is now very
sick
with cancer, still having to go to work six days a week at a crap job just to
make minimum payments to stay in her house. In better days and better times
her family and community would have swayed her, or else subtly threatened the
life of the shark that stood to profit from the loan.

Government regulation is a poor substitute for church and family. </HTML>