homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:29:08 -0500

On Apr 29, 2008, at 7:39 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Apr 29, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Lynda wrote:

Bottomline is that the South has never been allowed to be the
South. The
North and the bookwriters and the balance of the U.S. have been
pounded with
absolutely nothing but negatives and phoo phooing of all that is the
South.
They have been painted as something evil and told to sit down and
shut-up.

Let us come gradually north. At some point there must be a balance. Or
will you hold that there is a sharp line?

I think the reason you hear anger is the very assumption that we(those
of a Southern mindset) must come north.

No, I apparently confused you. Sorry. What I meant is that if we wished to look at area attitudes, there must be some area between certain south and certain north where people are more balanced in their feelings about the Civil War and its ramifications. And having nothing to do with the Mason-Dixon survey line. Here in the Compromise state, I know people who have hardly any feelings about the Civil War and others who are bigoted to embarrassment of those around them. Not sure why, but there is a crossing of Bryant Creek about a mile from here named Nigger Ford. I have been unable to verify that perhaps it is so-called because a black family lived there. This County of Ozark, just above the Arkansas line, may have a black person, but I have not met them. Btw, Battlefield is the name of a road and many other things in Springfield, Missouri, named for the Battle of Wilson's Creek near Springfield on August 10, 1861

As for writing, from Faulkner to Eudora Welty to acclaimed Civil War author Shelby Foote, there are a plethora of fine writers who are from the South. I do not know how many publishers are in the South.

I'm glad I grew up in a place where the Civil War was simply a very sad occurrence in our history. I'd not want to carry around the negative baggage that some seem to do.