homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:06:57 -0400

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Steve Oliphant <steveo AT crecon.com> wrote:

> Right around every person who believes in self government and
> independence. Everyone inside the line is a southerner - wether or not
> they realize it, Everyone outside the line (on the side of the line
> drawers) is a damn yankee!

When I worked in a mortgage company of 25 people in Gainesville, GA in
1991-92, I was the only one from 'up north.' I was frequently introduced to
visiting bankers and lender reps as the 'yankee' (a few times as the 'damn
yankee'), before my name was ever said. It always made me bristle. I had a
name. I never introduced my co-workers to others as whatever term could be
said for southerners.

I've lived all over (except for the west) and consider myself to be from no
region in particular.

Lisa