homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:41:48 -0800

No, and I will put forward why I think this is so. Those who are *real* Southerners can pipe in. My thinking is based on travels there as a child, travels there showing, buying and selling horses as an adult and things I heard from my nanny, her son and Grampa Charlie.

Bottomline is that the South has never been allowed to be the South. The North and the bookwriters and the balance of the U.S. have been pounded with absolutely nothing but negatives and phoo phooing of all that is the South. They have been painted as something evil and told to sit down and shut-up.

The overall picture that is presented is either one of the evil slave holder, the "silly" woman, the ignorant inbred hill people. The continual pounding of the war being about freeing the slaves and those narrow-minded bigots down there living in the past and still reliving the war. Plus, the very real violation of the Constitution.

The South isn't and never was all about slavery or plantation. Gone With the Wind isn't the South. It's a movie. Scarlet isn't "the" Southern woman. Jeff Foxworthy isn't "the" South.

However, when anyone tries to correct the deliberately reframed negative image, they are painted into the corner of *supposedly* trying to defend the indefensible. They are "refighting the war."

James and Bev and Grampa Charlie are the South. They are good, bad and everything else that everyone else is. Sometimes quite stubborn and annoying <g> Plus a whole rainbow of other people. They aren't reliving the war, and what some are still trying to do is get the truth out there about what really happened and what it was really about. They aren't excusing what was happening, they are just tired of having it reframed and a total spin put on what happened "back then."

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>