homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:12:44 -0500

On Apr 29, 2008, at 5:51 PM, Steve Oliphant wrote:

Everyone outside the line (on the side of the line
drawers) is a damn yankee!

Side note: one of the proposed derivations of the term Yankee is that it comes from the Dutch name Janke, pronounced Yanke. My father's mother was German and her maiden name was Jaunke, pronounced Yaunke. This was in Northern Michigan. So I guess I am pretty well qualified to be a Yankee. Now, if you were inclined to call me a damn yankee, damned yankee, damn Yankee, or damned Yankee, for your personal safety you had best do it with a smile.