homestead - Re: [Homestead] Internet connection, was Jeremiah Wright

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Internet connection, was Jeremiah Wright
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:09:11 -0400

On Apr 26, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I'm pretty sure that my area will not have cable in my lifetime. The
phone company is also not likely to offer DSL

Common rule of thumb is that if you are 5 miles or more by wire length from the "CO" (Central Office), then DSL won't work. There is a way for the technical folks at your phone company to measure your distance.

The economics of cable is that if there are not enough customers for a reasonable payback time, it will not get installed.

We see ads from Hughes about how easy it is to move and keep your service. Unless it's better in a new location, we likely won't want it.

Anyone can test their connection speed at
http://speedtest.net/
I just got download speed of 96 kb/s and upload of 159 kb/s.
This is NOT "high" speed internet!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net