homestead - Re: [Homestead] Internet connection

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Internet connection
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:13:33 -0800

Nor will we. I'm not that unhappy about it but do get tired of trying to explain to folks that not all of California has DSL or satellite phone service. Or trying explaining to companies that you don't have a physical address. You don't know how many times I've heard "but you're in California."

Verizon "owns" the "island" we live in. They haven't done a thing to update anything since 1970. It is a miracle that the phone lines work at all! On our road 3 of the poles that hold the connections if folks should move onto various pieces of land are down and one of the junction boxes is smashed over. They've been that way for years and the answer is "we'll schedule someone to fix them." In the next century is my guess.

In the meantime, I don't watch any video clips.

I'm on dialup-connect at 26.4 kbps, and I have the same 'problem'. This
area won't get water, sewer, cable, DSL, or any other modern 'amenity'
in my lifetime. Cell phones don't work here in the hollows and ridges,
and I am the only one of my two nearest neighbors that has access to the
southern sky for satellite connections. It's expensive. As much as I
hate dialup and not being able to really read as much online as I would
like, I love living in the boonies. I'm sure you agree.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky