homestead - Re: [Homestead] Internet connection

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Internet connection
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:05:17 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
I'm pretty sure that my area will not have cable in my lifetime. The
phone company is also not likely to offer DSL (when I finally gave
them up and went to cellular only service was bad or non-existent in
wet weather when the strings got wet).

I'm on dialup-connect at 26.4 kbps, and I have the same 'problem'. This area won't get water, sewer, cable, DSL, or any other modern 'amenity' in my lifetime. Cell phones don't work here in the hollows and ridges, and I am the only one of my two nearest neighbors that has access to the southern sky for satellite connections. It's expensive. As much as I hate dialup and not being able to really read as much online as I would like, I love living in the boonies. I'm sure you agree.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky