homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:12:29 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:03 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Ok, Gene, you asked me to be specific,...
For me, it's not about imagination, it's about empathy-putting yourself
in someone else's shoes.

Well, my take is that is what Obama was doing, he was empathizing with those Pennsylvania workers who were hurting after years of seeing their jobs disappear and politicians lying to them and doing little that was helpful. He saw the need, he saw the wrong, he saw the result and he spoke truthfully about it. We here have for years lamented that politicians don't tell the truth. I have often said we can't handle the truth. This is an example.

Truth is relative in this case.
Yeah, I think most certainly Obama was trying to empathize to win votes. He wanted them to think he felt their pain. I am sure he spoke his own truth-reaching out to a small segment of the population. However, I think while he may have tapped into the frustration, his other conclusions were wrong. Pennsylvanians are just so happy to be on the radar map here they don't care if the details of Obamas statement are wrong. I wonder how Western PA compares with northern GA for gun ownership.

I find it difficult to understand how you can only take personal offense
to something ONLY if it relates to you personally.

Think of it from a spiritual viewpoint. If we take personally the many ills and wrongs in the world we will be distraught. We can empathize with the millions of people with serious problems whose stories are thrown in front of us each day, but if we take personal umbrage at the wrong of it we will destroy ourselves from within.

I don't agree with that at all. I think you have to stand up for what is wrong and not bury your head in the sand if the wrong doesn't affect you.

Bev, consider how much better if we could all laugh hilariously, then after regaining control, then you could educate. Once the friend realized he had hurt you he would almost certainly apologize. If not, then if would be difficult not to think less of him.

I wouldn't be laughing.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky