homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:19:26 -0400

Thank you, Jerry. You give me pause to think.

Bev

Jerry W. Shepperd wrote:
I didn't hear Obama in the same way that either James or Bev heard him. I heard his message as, When people are frustrated, they hold to the familiar. Guns are familiar. However, the problems we are facing can't be eliminated by shooting them. They are economic and life-style problems. We are spending more than we make, we are involved in a war that costs us more money than we have to spend -- not to mention lives. We must learn to live by spending less money, by using less fossil fuels, by restoring more of the environment than we destroy. (I know. This is paraphrase, so one can make the claim that I, too, am hearing what I want to hear. I will say that I am not in Obama's camp, although my daughters are putting pressure on me.)

These are my sentiments, not Obama's, and I expressed them when they "dragged" me off to patch the wounded and dying in Viet Nam: It is hard to fight ideologies with bullets, especially in other people's home territories, so one must, of necessity find another method of engagement - if we feel the need to engage. That requires changing the way we think, plan, talk, all of which is hard, sometimes impossible.

The bottom line is we all must start talking seriously about change. We may get the words wrong on occasion, because change is a work in progress, and we are still trying to figure out what it entails. We seldom know until it has already happened, but it will happen.

Jerry

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky