homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:13:39 -0500

On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:03 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Ok, Gene, you asked me to be specific,...
For me, it's not about imagination, it's about empathy-putting yourself
in someone else's shoes.

Well, my take is that is what Obama was doing, he was empathizing with those Pennsylvania workers who were hurting after years of seeing their jobs disappear and politicians lying to them and doing little that was helpful. He saw the need, he saw the wrong, he saw the result and he spoke truthfully about it. We here have for years lamented that politicians don't tell the truth. I have often said we can't handle the truth. This is an example.

I find it difficult to understand how you can only take personal offense
to something ONLY if it relates to you personally.

Think of it from a spiritual viewpoint. If we take personally the many ills and wrongs in the world we will be distraught. We can empathize with the millions of people with serious problems whose stories are thrown in front of us each day, but if we take personal umbrage at the wrong of it we will destroy ourselves from within.

I take offense when
I hear certain racially or ethnically charged words or stereotypes, even
though the comments aren't directed to me. Stereotypes are often true,
so how does your bias for truth sit with that?

I not only seek truth, I seek the Golden Rule. It is unhelpful and often hurtful to speak certain things though they may be true. There must be a compelling need.

If I were ever to visit
you in Phoenix, and one of your friends called me a Cracker, I sure hope
that you would set them straight that while I may be from Georgia, I
ain't no freakin' cracker. (Someone in OR once called me a cracker,
thinking it was cute, akin to Peach) Your friend may not even realize he
is being offensive or the history of that word, and he may only be
joking around, but it is still not acceptable. Or, would you do nothing
and remain quiet because you can't relate to that personally?

Bev, consider how much better if we could all laugh hilariously, then after regaining control, then you could educate. Once the friend realized he had hurt you he would almost certainly apologize. If not, then if would be difficult not to think less of him.
Out of
curiosity, would you still remain friends with your neighbor after that,
or would you look around for different friends, perhaps one that is not
so bigoted/ignorant/prejudiced.

Dear Bev, were I to rid myself of all friends who are biased or ignorant or prejudiced I would have no one to talk to, I would have to go live in a cave and meditate.

Btw, to save me from looking it up, what the heck is a cracker? See, you have exposed my ignorance.