homestead - Re: [Homestead] Native-born Pennsylvanian on Obama's "bitter" remarks

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Native-born Pennsylvanian on Obama's "bitter" remarks
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:28:07 -0500

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> They've been taken for granted by political parties and candidates who
> stay in power by - and this was the apparent gist of Obama's remarks -
> forcing attention and debate on issues tied to guns, religion and race
> (precisely because such issues resonate) rather than real problems
> such as health care and the economy.

And, as Obama made clear in more campaign remarks today, that's
exactly what he meant. People in the towns devastated by Cafta and
Nafta already know that they're severely screwed by the politiicans.
The only issues left to vote on are guns and gays and marriage just
for men and women.

It's been interesting to see to follow this discussion.

I didn't start out as an Obama fan. He's what's left and for a change
I think that may be for good reasons.

I haven't got too much more to say here about the subject because it's
clear that most of us have made a choice.

Marie