homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:30:14 -0500

On Apr 13, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Bev, for me it crosses the line into bigotry when he paints those opposed to
him as jealous that they don't earn as much money as others and THAT"s what
drives them to support gun rights and religious issues. Otherwise, if things
were going peachy for them, they'd forget all about gun rights and religious
rights.

Wow. That really stretches it. He gave one example. He has more. He was in a semi-private meeting, I believe. He was expressing what he is seeing and hearing in Pennsylvania, I think. He admits he used bad choice of words. But to read those remarks as bigotry? Bigotry is intolerance of the views of others--it is not reading someone incorrectly.

Gene's idea of "Political Perfection" is correct, but it ONLY applies to
Obama. Everyone else is fair game.

I apply the same standards to all candidates.

No? Well, let's try it. Bush? What, do you expect him to be perfect? What
president hasn't spent too much money, driven up debt too far, used the
military in an agressive way?

The mind boggles. Moon sent a list yesterday. Spending, debt, aggression, that's the tip of the glacier.

Obama is an idealogical vacuum. The Rev Wright stuff rushed in to try to
fill that vacuum. In lieu of knowing what Obama is about, other than the
mindless mantra of "We have to change the way we change", we look closely at what he
says to see what he's about. The comments at the SF fundraiser give us a
glimpse into what he's thinking and it ain't pretty.

Now I happen to agree with some of this. Considering his background he has been a clever candidate. He knows the various traps that campaign strategists set for their opponents. He has been pretty careful. He has also written two best-selling books about himself and comes from that volume of saying where he has been, what has shaped him, and his understanding of the various issues. He has never before been subjected to the kind of campaign that the Clintons and McCain have suffered through and lived to go on. It is appropriate that he be held accountable for everything he says.

In one way, the protracted Democratic primary is creating an advantage. Many fires will have flared up and been dealt with and hopefully the main event will be on a more presidential plane.