homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:03:02 -0500

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> Wright filled the Malcolm X vacuum.
>
> And, speaking of wars and soldiers, another one of his quotes that is quite
> annoying is one of his excuses for Wright he "served this nation with honor
> as a United States Marine." Yeah, he joined the Marines, he did boot camp
> and as soon as possible he transferred to a Naval medical school and went to
> work in Bethesda.

Just to set the record straight, Wright gave up his military deferment
to enlist in the Marines. He served with them for 2 years before he
transferred to the Navy so he could go to corpsman school. I suppose
the Navy could have sent him anywhere. Last I heard the Navy doesn't
give you a choice of assignments.

Here's one source for the information:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0404wrightapr03,0,92000.story

Marie