homestead - Re: [Homestead] Backsliding

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Backsliding
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:47:10 -0800

Aw, if one could actually do something if one were president. <g> Unfortunately, it seems that the only thing one can really do currently is play obstructionist OR start wars.

Let's see, I'd start by only hiring non-political animals to fill cabinet positions. No lifers allowed.

Call a summit of the greatest money minds in the world, NOT just the U.S., and build an economic policy from that. All of their suggestions would then be checked and double-checked by great historians cause if we don't learn from the past, blah, blah, blah.

No more free rides for dictators etc. If one hasn't already learned from the public school system that throwing money at something doesn't work, then it is beyond time we learned that. Learn from Jimmy Carter's mistake (if it wasn't his, then I apologize in advance to him <g>) of giving tractors to poor African dirt farmers who really needed an ox or a mule. Said tractors have since rotted into the ground since they didn't have any fuel for them and didn't know how to use them. Find out what the PEOPLE of any given area need, not the government. Fill the need not the coffers of the government (ah, poppy fields in Afghanistan come to mind). Ah, and that would include here in the U.S.

Tax the bejeebers out of folks off-shoring. Reward those bringing jobs back here. Repair or ditch NAFTA.

Remove the cap on SS and rewrite the law so the funds are invested not spent to balance the budget. Put a cap on who can collect SS.

No more corporate welfare. Ag subsidies to go back to what they were intended for and that ain't ag-business or millionaires with addresses in NYC.

Fix Medicare and Medicaid. Stop the fraud leak and you'd about have it fixed! Do bids on drugs like Costco and WallyWorld do.

Then go to work on healthcare which would include fixing the USDA, the FDA and the Food Pyramid, since I don't give a dead rat's patooty what the sugar or salt industry want on the food pyramid!

My brain is a bit foggy as my IDIOT neighbor has been doing burns for over a week now, but it seems to me it was Sweden that "fixed" their pricing problems on fuel by "fixing" the CEOs of the companies. I think it is beyond time we followed suit.

End the "War on Drugs."

End the DOE.

End funding being filtered to the NEA.

Begin the fix on the military by doing a Golden Handshake to all those 4 Stars that collect money for growing moss on their posteriors! No more running the military from a desk!

Pass an amendment limiting terms on Senators and Reps! There is a term limit on the prez, there ought to be across the board term limits!

Truth in advertising when it comes to political campaigns. And I do mean truth!

Gee, and that's only my short list.

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

It's quite easy to cut everyone down who's running for public office.
What would you do if you were the president? This isn't aimed just at
Lynda, but at everyone. We're living in a time of diminishing
resources and improverished education. If you were in charge, what
would you do?

If you can't think of anything we can go back to our regularly
scheduled programming about how to train pasture ornaments, or
whatever.

Marie, getting old and cranky