homestead - Re: [Homestead] Backsliding

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Backsliding
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:40:32 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
> A flip-flop of this magnitude confirms what I already feared: McCain
> does not know what his values are and he is not at all the maverick he
> likes to make out to be;

McCain has been pretty egregious in his flip-flopping, but I don't see
how he, or anyone, could possibly be elected as a Republican without
doing so. Anyone going for the Republican nomination had to skate
between the 30 percent of that party that borders on (or maybe crosses
the line into) lunacy and independents who want something a lot more
moderate.

On the corn ethanol question, anyone wanting votes in big corn-growing
states such as Illinois and Iowa has to be for it if they want to be
elected.

Sure, being a politician is a nasty job considering what they all have
to do, but face it: the individuals that most of us would prefer have
less chance of being elected than a snowball has of staying pristine
on a Texas sidewalk in July.

Anyone here ever run for public office. Me neither.

Marie