homestead - Re: [Homestead] vodo economics

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] vodo economics
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:16:11 -0400

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Rob <becida AT comcast.net> wrote:

> > It really is a good year for a garden.

> (Marie):

Some of my coworkers have been hinting that they'd trade gardening
> labor for vegetables. I'll believe it when I see butts in the air over
> the green beans. Most of them have their own backyards where they
> could grow lots of stuff.

Pole beans? Makes for a better visual. Maybe you'll get one taker who is
serious for a win-win situation.

True, but most have no clue what to do. The backyard is a lounging space
with marigolds, potted geraniums and a stainless steel big A gas grill.

Gardening seems relatively simple, you plant a seed in the ground. Yet it
can be more complicated. When do you plant which vegetable? How do you deal
w/ bugs? Soil amendments (or not)? Weeds? Wonder if most folks know their
gardening zone or how to make compost, though they are probably familiar
with Miracle-Gro.

Maybe it's just me, perhaps it really *is* as simple as sowing seeds and I
analyze and complicate things.

I'm making a concerted effort this year to do better, I will be an *improved
* gardener.

Put spinach in the ground yesterday and hope it wasn't too late (there's the
timing issue), the sugar snaps are making progress. Small garden, small
steps but progress is being made nevertheless.

Lisa