homestead - Re: [Homestead] Backsliding

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Backsliding
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:26:17 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2008 1:13:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> > There is no "pie". If you limit the size of the pie
> > slice that the bakers get, they quit baking.
>
> Nah, there must be a pie. Your president said so: "Make the pie higher!"

Better still was a Saturday Night Live skit of Reagan explaining Reaganomics:

Reagan "You see the economy is like a big blueberry pie. You cut the pie in
half. Half of the pie goes to defense, half goes to domestic programs, and
half goes to pay the interest on the national debt."

Interviewer:"But, Mr. President, I'm not following that. How can you have
three halves of the same pie?"

R:"OK, look at it this way. The economy is like a big pail of milk. You put
half that pail of milk in a big tub, then you put the three halves of the
blueberry pie in there and squish it all together, then you add the other
half
pail of milk ...."

I:"But, Mr. President, that would just be a big mess!"

R:"Ah, now you are beginning to understand it." </HTML>