homestead - Re: [Homestead] Skeen country

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Skeen country
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:03:57 -0800

Quite a few folks escaping from that war moved out here. John Brown's widow moved to Humboldt County and raised sheep two ranches over from my cousin's place outside Fortuna. Kind of a strange choice since we weren't particularly known as a North sympathizing area.

After all, slavery was alive and well here plus the locals had petitioned the government to get rid of Grant. Successfully, I might add. Of course, getting caught with his pants around his ankles and chasing another officer's wife might have had something to do with it <g>

Hmmm, I think he was responsible for my not trusting school history books since they said one thing and the letters to his wife that hung on the walls of the fort plus letters from locals in the Historical Societies building said another.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

That describes us as well. Only we're sw VA.

In fact, legend has it that very close by there was a 'hide-out' for
deserters of the Civil War--from both sides. This tale was confirmed not
long ago by someone who came to visit an old cemetary which occupies the
very corner of our property.