homestead - Re: [Homestead] peat moss?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] peat moss?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:11:24 -0500

Bill Jones wrote:

None, of course. No elementary text talks about insoluble acids at all. That phrase has no meaning the way they define acids, aqueously. That's why I asked how an insoluble solid can be acidic, obviously.

I don't have time to explain it, but look up what happens to DNA when the pH is lowered...it becomes insoluble.

First, peat moss is a generic term..there are different kinds of peat
and peat moss, and they are not created equal. Moss peat comes from
mosses, while other peats come from swamp type plants that have
decomposed. Sphagnum peat moss is acid and doesn't rot easily so plants
grow right into it.

But does it resist rotting even when neutralized?

I have no idea. You could easily set up a simple experiment and report back in 6-12 months.

That one sentence was the only answer I ever needed. I suspected that to be true, and it's of more than just theoretical importance. I've found that the hardest element to provide potatoes and other roots, if you don't have enough compost, is potassium.

Wood ashes are a good source...potash..

I've taken to soaking
sphagnum peat in potassium carbonate solution, in hopes that the potassium ions would cling to it, for gradual release later. It should mimic the effect of compost, as far as potassium is concerned, and we have alfalfa and bone meal for other nutrients. It sure seems to work, but then, I never had a _bad_ crop of yacon. But I didn't really know whether the potassium would rinse right out or not. There are a number of experiments I could devise to test this, but it was easier just to ask.

Experiment, because what works for you at your location might not work for someone else, and visa versa. Everyone has different soils, different water, different climates, etc., and there will always be surprise interactions from the environment. Gardening is kind of like Chaos theory...weird things can happen.
You've made a couple of comments about alfalfa and K. I don't think K when I think alfalfa, I think Ca...it's loaded with it..chemically, the Calcium will react with the same things as the potassium for the most part. One thing to remember is that any plant like alfalfa will suck up nutrients from the soil from which it was grown. Your alfalfa might be grown in a selenium or boron rich soil, for example, and mine might not be..your alfalfa might be higher in K than mine. It depends on where it was grown. Certain plants "mine" certain minerals and if you mulch with those plants, you make those minerals bio-available to what you are trying to grow. Alfalfa is deep rooted-like 4 feet or more, so it is a great plant to mulch with because its roots can access minerals that are deeper in a strata of soil that has not been depleted. The plant 'mines' the minerals, then you cut the plant and use it as mulch, effectively bringing that mineral to the surface where say, something like lettuce can benefit.

I really do love you, Bev. I apologize if my hatred for political sophistry rubbed off onto you.

No problema. Because I delete or skim political posts, half the time I simply don't know what you are talking about, and the other half the time, I just don't have the time to respond...sorry.

Bev, on vacation for two weeks..YIPPEE

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.