homestead - Re: [Homestead] peat moss?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] peat moss?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:21:56 -0800

O.K., if I remember my chemistry correctly, it is the cell walls of the peat plants that are the reason for the acidity. They are ion exchangers and take in a load of minerals such as calcium and magnesium and release hydrogen ions back into the water they live in. This round and round creates more and more acid in the water and with time the plant becomes more and more acid. They are self-serving as they create an environment inwhich few plants but themselves can live. The water around them has the same or higher ph than vinegar!

Well, except for muck peat which is either neutral or slightly alkaline.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>