homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:17:02 -0500

> Many in remote locales, like me, have unlimited access to disreputable wood:
> tree trimmings, sawmill slabs, bark, roots, knots, woodshop scrap, coppice
> wood, discarded loading palates, deadfall branches. You can't burn that
> stuff
> in a greener-than-thou stove. An expensive stove would not give us what we
> paid for.

There is a lot of wisdom in your post, James. I shopped those more
expensive stoves that burn so clean. I decided that for me, out here,
it's over kill and just extra parts that may need repair. Planning
for a time that we may really need to be self sufficient in the near
future, I wanted a stove that would be around for a while and not need
parts.

I shopped Craigslist (wonderful source) and found a Franklin
Fireplace. It's not 100% cast iron, so I may sell it and buy another
one when I find one on craigslist.

I guess it really depends on what you want. I wanted to be able to see
the fire like a fireplace, but the benefits of a stove. I wasn't
looking for a show piece.

I ought to have it installed in the new room in a couple of weeks and
am really excited.

Rob - Va