homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:22:10 -0500

I have thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from this discussion. Our heads have been spinning trying to come to a decision. I am glad today to read also from those with first-hand experience with the epa approved class of stoves.

I am one now to be mindful of environmental effects. I haven't been able to avoid wondering why Oregon, Washington and California will not even allow the sale of some models of stoves readily available elsewhere, as much as I am against over-regulation. I can't quite say to hell with the neighbors since I am aware I have to breath the air myself and suffer all the other consequences I accept are barreling down the pike because of past ignorance of such issues, including population. What worked in the 1800's doesn't necessarily work now.

Of course, there are many EPA stoves which handle 18", 20", 22", even 27 " logs, even the cheaper Home Depot and Lowes offerings. This is a stove Northern Tool company offers that has interested me for $700, but we are leary of the short one year factory warranty: http://vogelzang.com/tr008.htm. A cast iron stove from the same company is available at our local Southern States and now much more appealing having read earlier posts http://vogelzang.com/bx42e.htm. It is not even UL approved, let alone EPA.

Another big consideration is the distance required from combustible materials. Our room layout will require some added protection for the lower tech models. The epa type stoves specify half the 36" distance. Safety of course is the most important consideration.

Having built-in options for outside air intakes is another. Pellet stoves, I understand, usually require electricity, and dependence on pellet manufacturers and suppliers, right? Round and round it goes ...... In the mean time our incredibly efficient Monitor Kerosene heater 'sips' the $3.49 per gallon fuel from the 275 gallon (read $1000 bucks) small tank. Three years ago it was great! $275 per season for heating the house as well as our water! Now just about as well burn greenbacks. thanks so much everyone for all the great replies. jerry

ps:
Now I guess what would be most ideal is to be able to construct myself a stove that would meet at least some of these environmental requirements .... or beyond this, design and build a home that would not require even the burning of wood to heat, or electricity to cool. Has PAHS been discussed on this list? Earth-sheltered homes? I will check the archives.

and that's another issue ... for six months we have done fine without hot water ... much over-rated in the American dream. Nice however. The 50 gal drum painted black on top of our shed served well for showers, now it's right chilly! We are exploring other venues for heating our water as well. Really, think it would be cheaper to just get out the shovel and start over from the ground up (and down). An undergound grotto room would suit me fine, with accessory sauna. Ah well, maybe NEXT Spring ........
Hi Tom...that small firebox would have perked my ears up right off the
bat...:-) and stopped me from buying the stove...:-) I hope you cut your own
firewood...:-) I would put the stove on Craig's List...sell it... and buy
myself a stove more suited to your needs. Might even give some thought to a
pellet stove. Franklin