homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:40:08 -0500

> I would go out of my way to get an all cast iron stove, but a good second
> choice is steel plate (as opposed to sheet steel which wears out in a stove
> pretty quick).

Mine is steel plate in the back and cast iron on top, front and
bottom. We had a cast iron stove like this when I was a kid, whick is
probably why I have such good memories of it. I like the fact that you
can see the fire or close the doors and not.

This one has a cast iron cooking grate so you can cook a burger or
steak. Dad would not let us have that when I was a kid. Once I have
fat spatter all over the stove, I'll probably know why!

Rob - Va