homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:47:06 -0800

The stove that was in our miner's cabin was one of those. Well, not a kit one but one someone handcrafted a long time ago. It worked great but before we got totally moved in someone decided they needed it more than we did. they broke the lock off the cabin and carted the thing off.

I use a small one, maybe 25 gallon?, that is on it's side and on legs for my burn barrel. Has a stove pipe with screening and a door just like a real stove. It's about 10 years old and still going strong but we're going to have to replace the stove pipe.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mogrits" <mogrits AT gmail.com>

I'm curious too. I've seen those kits for years, but don't know anyone who's
bought one. My experience with burning things in a barrel is that they won't
be very durable- maybe a year or two- and they probably aren't very safe for
use inside your home. You'd have to burn off all the paint outdoors
beforehand, at a minimum.

I'd try one in my shop if I hadn't a proper woodstove there already.

Plus side- they're cheap. We can get empty drums hereabouts for 3-5 bucks
each.