homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:26:39 -0700

On Nov 20, 2007, at 8:46 AM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

I'm ready to put one in workshop, Just primarily
wanting to know if anyone has knowledge I should be
aware of when building/using one.

The typical barrel is thin-walled, doesn't last many years, depending on how much and how hot you burn it.

I imagine that the
heat retention is not very much, so it will cool off
faster than most stoves once the fire is out.

Yes. The double-barrel setup keeps a bit more heat and of course emanates more heat with each burn, but also causes more flu build-up.

Any
serious fire risk, assuming used with reasonable
precautions.
Use in house?

I used one in a main room in house. Put on fireproof surface and keep well away from any flammable walls and furniture. I also used one in my basement under the kitchen. Burned it very hot, the metal would get cherry red. You have to learn how to make a fire last through the night. Before you get a good ash buildup in the bottom you should put some sand in there to keep from burning a hole in it.

Barrel stoves can use large pieces of wood, are good for cheap and fast, although cutting the holes and mounting the door and flu bracket takes some time. They take up a lot of space, don't last long, heat and lose heat fast, will not keep a long, unattended burn without experience.

If I should ever use another one I will use a heavier barrel than the typical.