homestead - Re: [Homestead] A homestead model

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A homestead model
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:23:11 -0700

On Jun 20, 2007, at 8:07 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

Both my parents lived long and healthy lives, but would have been
quite miserable at the end without financial resources (not to mention
daughters devoted to making their lives as comfortable as possible). I
admire your willingness to not worry about the future, but I'm finding
that as old age approaches few of my previous assumptions apply.

I find serenity in having Plans A, B and C. Plan A is to live as healthfully as possible, paying attention to both body and mind until I fail to awake one morning. Plan B is in case of something unplanned, which I strive with responsibility to keep at very low odds. I am willing to spend a modest amount on medical treatment if it fixes the problem, but nothing if treatment only prolongs an incomplete life. Plan C is if my body acts totally disrespectfully to my efforts. In that case I will send out a general invitation to those I most care about. We will have one final party at Heartwood, we will say anything we have to say, they will all go home, and I will use carbon monoxide to fade into the next whatever.