homestead - Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:22:59 EDT

> Going from 6 billion to 275 million people is really scary stuff.
> There may be some people who don't care but I am NOT one of them.

You're not supposed to be scared, Rob, you are supposed to ignore it.
Haven't you been listening? Advocating a sustainable lifestyle, especially
one
based on modest consumption and physical work, is juuudgemeeeental! You
can't
say it is .. uh ... better than what someone else chooses.

Here's another one of those running population counters:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop

and it says that the current population is 6.7 billion. Going from a
quarter billion to six billion in a thousand years is scary enough, but we've
added
another half a billion people in just the past seven years.

The main reason, you've heard this spiel before, is that since the "green
revolution" we've been merely converting oil into food, which is the same
thing
as saying we've been converting oil into people. We have now (as of December
of 2005) maxed out world oil production. Sometime, soon or late, it will go
into permanent decline. The evidence all points toward 'soon'.

All the alternate energy blather really isn't about powering your low energy
light bulbs with solar or scarab beetles, it's about not having enough fossil
energy to produce the huge amount of food it takes to feed seven billion (or
more) people.

What happens then? People die. Those pathologically lacking in PC openly
talk about the die-off that awaits the human population when there isn't
enough
oil to grow enough food.

Cultivation of a real sustainable life might be the key to you and yours
being among those that remain after the die-off. Real .... not based on used
fryer oil recycling toilet paper tubes.

</HTML>