homestead - Re: [Homestead] A homestead model

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A homestead model
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:07:18 -0500

> Keep in mind that we also maintain this lifestyle with absolutely
> no cash
> inputs except what our own hands and labor produce. There's no
> social security,
> disability, retirement, settlement, stipend, nor is there any
> government
> assistance for fuel, food, medicine (which we almost never use
> anyway), or any such.

Most of us don't have government assistance for fuel, food or
medicine. We have property tax, however. And mandatory car insurance.
And Social Security tax on the first dollar earned. How do you deal
with that? Also, you obviously have an Internet connection and
probably a phone. My experience is that those things cost more out in
the boonies.

Both my parents lived long and healthy lives, but would have been
quite miserable at the end without financial resources (not to mention
daughters devoted to making their lives as comfortable as possible). I
admire your willingness to not worry about the future, but I'm finding
that as old age approaches few of my previous assumptions apply.

Marie