homestead - Re: [Homestead] Income thought

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Income thought
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:08:52 -0700

On Jun 20, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

That has slowly, but soon entirely, given way to a more modern phenomenon.
On the internet one joins lists, blogs, and gets links put on people's pages to
promote one's wares. The internet terms is "pimping" one's merchandise.

The drawbacks are it is some effort, people don't have your wares in their
hands to judge them so you have to have testimonials. The advantages are that
you are mining a very specific market and you get to keep just about all the
money yourself.

Sounds good. Each producer will have their own goals as to income. Your modest needs are met by modest sales. That is a good place to be. I was thinking of all the city boutique places I have seen where twig furniture and the like sells for outlandish prices.

Having participated in this and witnessing many others do the same, my
recommendation would be to get into doing something *real* along those lines. Don't
rely on a cute idea or just being the middle man.

Agreed. Seems to me that the ideal product must be hand made of raw materials found here. Example: many people have admired my cutting block. It is made of a portion of a sycamore tree. Still has the bark on. Would be too expensive to ship far. Required years of seasoning before being smoothed and fitted with legs.