homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:45:16 EDT

> Is there some secret to
> successful favas?

Plant them in very cold weather. They don't do well when it warms up.

>Why would a seed company be so stingy?

No doubt one of those "more money than you have sense" seed companies. Many
companies have a fixed weight of bean seeds you will get and if that comes to
300 turtle bean seeds, then the same weight is only ten fava beans and so
sorry, that's what you get.

Best, I have found, to stay away from seedsmen for bean seeds. Instead buy
beans and plant them. Most health food stores and bulk stores carry or can
get
dried fava beans. Just make sure you are getting whole beans and not the
split hulled beans.

Here is another source I've used many times:

http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com

A pound of fava beans is just under $4. I've grown at least 20 different
kinds of beans from this supplier and all had high germination rates.
</HTML>