homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:28:57 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I hate to say it, but I find the people here to be bone ignorant, even
about the things you might expect somebody to know about. The only
people I've met who know what fava beans are either work at the feed
store, or are from California, Germany, etc.

***Hmmmm, ignorant? Lots of reasons come to mind why favas wouldn't find favor in any given community and why they wouldn't try them. They are a PITA, favism and they might not be a historical cultural food for folks in your area.

But if you go to an average neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY or El Cajon,
CA, the typical person there is also ignorant, indolent, biased, and
bigotted, in addition to uncultured, unrefined, and unenlightened. It
makes them easier to sell products to. The difference is that the
person who has the power to leave, to live wherever they want, is more
likely to be more educated (on paper at least) and more affluent. NY
and CA have a higher percentage of these people, because that's where
the money is. Unfortunately the correlation being actually being great
vs. having a great bank balance is a fairly loose one, and this leads to
having all kinds of pompous neighbors who happen to have money telling
you what they think they know, among the worst of whom is my "native"
neighbor from Medford.

***Maybe the folks in Oregon are like the folks where James lives and don't want a know-it-all from CA telling them whats good for them. That is how you come off, doncha know.