homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:29:31 -0400

Having never heard of fava beans, I decided to look them up.
One book I have shows a sketch of them and says they resemble lima beans,
but are longer and wider, thus the other name of "broad beans", which I had
also not heard. I looked up the English word "bean" in my Spanish
dictionary and found "haba" as the entry for "lima bean". There are also
some regional names for beans listed, but the main entry is "frijole".
Where I grew up, in Texas, "frijoles" were synonymous with chili beans and
kidney beans. Favas are not sold around here, and I don't know that I've
ever tasted one. It sounds like a regionally popular food to me. Is that
accurate?