homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:15:18 -0700

Lynda wrote:

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} and lots of positive energy. Hope the job turns out to be a good thing!

As to the favas, I first experienced them back in the 50s when one of our neighbors was from Egypt. Hmmmm, seems to me they were called ful (pronounced fool) something or another. Reminded me of refried beans with lots of garlic and cumin but also a taste of lemon. Quite good.

That's it! I couldn't remember the name.

However, I don't like them because they are a PITA. <g>
? Is this some reference I might find vulgar? :)
Eventually things will normalize with a consistent high-fibre diet, dear.

Being a history nut (both history history and food history), I found it interesting to follow their path from deep in the Mediterranean to them being considered to somehow be credited as something English.

You might have heard the story about how Pythagoras was opposed to eating beans (favas, of course) and forbade all his disciples to eat them as well. It's been speculated that he had favism (a severe allergy to them).

I'm not sure when the first crop was harvested in England, but it would not surprise me if it was in Roman times or earlier. That was several cultures ago, in human terms. So that makes about as native an English food as need be, since the typical person would not think of their broadbeans as Mediterranean, after such as long time. For instance, if you look at the different words for turkey, you can see that absolutely no folk wisdom about the origin of foods can be taken seriously; continental Europeans thought that turkeys came from India (and all this confusion came about within only a few centuries). People don't eat favas as much in England today, but if you believe John Seymour, they were once as common a food item among the peasantry as "habas" in Spain or favas in Italy. He even admits to eating small favas, skins and all.

Bill
S. Oregon coast