homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:45:55 -0400

clhw wrote:
Having never heard of fava beans, I decided to look them up. One book
I have shows a sketch of them and says they resemble lima beans, but
are longer and wider, thus the other name of "broad beans", which I
had also not heard. I looked up the English word "bean" in my Spanish
dictionary and found "haba" as the entry for "lima bean". There are
also some regional names for beans listed, but the main entry is
"frijole". Where I grew up, in Texas, "frijoles" were synonymous with
chili beans and kidney beans. Favas are not sold around here, and I
don't know that I've ever tasted one. It sounds like a regionally
popular food to me. Is that accurate?

My experience was the same as yours Lynn. I'd never seen one, or seen a
seed packet for them. I had never heard of them before the movie. I
don't think they are grown here in the South much for some reason. Mine
did really well though..planted in the Fall, harvested in early Spring.
I am almost embarrassed to admit that I did not know about the double
shelling thing, and I ate them in the skins..lol..perhaps that is why I
did not like them?? Ya think? LOL
So anyway, I actually have a few seeds left, although they are several
years old. I'm tempted to try them again this fall, and give them
another shot at the taste buds sans skins with the garlic and cumin. If
I get a decent crop, I'll send you some seeds this time next year and
you can try it..

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.