homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another new member

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another new member
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:03:44 -0500

Hi CLHW,

I'm not familiar with the TexasOutback list, is its focus similar? My husband Rick and I are on the other side of the protrusion of Mexico into Texas from Terlingua, which is also beautiful country. As the crow flies we could be there in about five hours (which isn't bad in Texas terms as you know), but as the car drives it takes us an entire day. We are just shy of the 100th meridian, which I understand is where "the West" in our nation officially starts. So, you could say we are in the western most part of the southeast where you and Bev live. Howdy neighbor!

We do share many of the same Trans-Pecos/Chihuauan desert plants you'd find in Terlingua (cacti, yucca, sotol, agave, etc.), but we also have the Taumalipan Brushland plants (mas plantas espinosas) coming up from Mexico, but most predominantly Edwards Plateau "Hill Country" plants (neat plants).

Just like Terlingua (once was) our small community could also be considered a ghost town. Our house was the post office for several decades and before that the land had a blacksmith shop with the wagon road (now diverted) across our creek. The old school crumbles next door, and one neighbor in her 80's five miles away remembers riding her horse to school up my creek, pointing to the tree she used to tie it up to.

It's hard to believe, but UPS and FedEx deliver here. Before the EMS service gave us an official address, we used to put the driving directions into the address line whenever we ordered anything. So with DSL I think possibilities are opening up. I've done some nature tours, which are most lucrative in the spring when it's still cool and everything is in bloom, but that's also prime gardening time. I am also certified to teach kayaking, but with global warming and a long drought I haven't wanted to scrape the bottom of my boat.

--Sage
wayout in Texas

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:20:49 -0400