homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:42:31 -0800

Hello, Toni! OMG, finally, it has a name. Now I can tell people what the problem is, I suffer from ZDD <g>

The things I don't miss are the snails and slugs. For whatever reason, we don't have any up here.

And I get funny looks. I've taken to reading gardening catelogs for Siberia <g> I figure if they can get them to grow there, then I can get them to grow here!

The wonder of wonders is that my redwood trees are growing in leaps and bounds, as is my Italian Stone pine. Shortly we should have the gray pine cones opening and then we'll know if they will make a good substitute for buying pine nuts. The cones are big enough to kill a man if they should fall on your head, so the pine nuts should be equally as good sized.

Lynda, dreaming of the hoop house that is up the road that, believe it or not, the people don't use! That is downright criminal!
----- Original Message ----- From: <tonitime AT juno.com>

hee-hee - Hi, My name's Toni and I'm a tomatomaniac ;-)
Even after 6 growing seasons in Kentucky, i will never get used to losing
90 days growing season and still suffer from ZDD (zone denial disorder!)
This year's new adventure will be our 48' high tunnel - hoping to latch
onto another month of warmth on either end of the season! I usually
limit our garden's maters to around 24 varieties - but it is hard with
the seed abundance we all have acesss to these days. Yes, Lynda - ol'
listmate - there is no place like CA for getting spoiled by produce
abundance and ease of growing stuff ) so many fewer pests and diseases on
the Left Coast, too. I imagine your own move did knock you for a loop in
gardening - but it sure sounds like another great spot in the world to
live!

Peppers are another problem - a thing that i always took for granted, as
in "Plant them, and they will show up" - the nice ripe reds, oranges, and
yellows of peppers that have had enough sun, heat, and water to make the
abundance we used to know. Here, lots of diseases, pests, rainfall, and
odd cold spells to humble a longtime gardener! Every year, new
challenges come up and the learning must never cease if we want all the
goodies we had previously taken for granted.
Winter ends, and we hit it again - never does the gardener's spirit allow
for throwing in the towel on it all. Soon, i will bundle up and head for
the downright cold basement, with it's southeast windows and light banks,
shiver and sow new seed after rounding up all the homemade and factory
made heat mats! New life must spring forth again, just because we
unaturally WANT IT ALL!

Let the gardens dreams begin again (at least after all the Holiday baking
ceases!).
Toni in E KY~ ining for a sweet red ripe pepper to munch on~

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.