homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:47:30 -0600

On 12/16/06, tonitime AT juno.com <tonitime AT juno.com> wrote:

Even after 6 growing seasons in Kentucky, i will never get used to losing
90 days growing season and still suffer from ZDD (zone denial disorder!)

Lucky you didn't move to Illinois! I'm contemplating a tunnel starting
in the spring. Illinois spring weather has become increasingly erratic
-- and it was never all that predictable -- and we go from freezing
to 80 degrees, with more frost than warm weather until mid-May. The
only thing I worry about with tunnels is the wind.

Peppers are another problem - a thing that i always took for granted, as
in "Plant them, and they will show up" - the nice ripe reds, oranges, and
yellows of peppers that have had enough sun, heat, and water to make the
abundance we used to know.

Oh yes. The only local reliable source of ancho fresh peppers (and
they have the dried ones too) is Wal-Mart. The local groceries don't
have a clue, and I don't use fresh anchos often enough to encourage
them to keep them in stock. Naturally, all the Mexicans in the area go
to Wal-Mart, which also has a nice selection of other Mexican staples
like masa harina and cheeses.

Marie