homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:15:14 -0800

----- Original Message ----- Rob wrote:

A year round growing season, I just can't imagine it.

***I can imagine it, sort of. I really miss living on the coast where we had maybe a week of light frost and could grow a garden all year. Herbs were fine outside, cherry tomatoes grew in pots on the porch and we simply made them little plastic tents.

I'm having a hard time readjusting my gardening "think" to a very short growing season. Keep making mistakes because of too many years of not having to think about weird things like snow <g> the last of which came this year in June!

However, I persevere and we've adapted our herb garden to be portable and at the first hint that there might be frost, in it comes. DH built extended window sills just for the plants in the two kitchen windows. I mean, how can you live with an Italian and not have fresh basil and oregano for a marinara? <g>