homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:24:59 -0600

On 12/16/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
Other than profiting a company easy to dislike, what is wrong with
Microsoft Word? I have used it to write several books, journals, and
other stuff and found it easy to use and it gets the job done fine.
It is easy to import into PageMaker, too, with all formatting preserved.

Word isn't awful. It's just that WordPefect had many very nice features.

Word is fine if you are creating your own document. It's a pain when
you have to import other people's formatting. When I was a freelance
editor who had to spend valuable time simply cleaning up junk before I
could get to the editing part, I despised it. Now that I get paid for
showing up, the only aggravation is that generally the whole job is
under a tight deadline. So, okay, I work until midnight and take time
off later.

I've never been one of the Microsoft haters -- why didn't I buy their
stock when it was cheap? -- but I do wish they'd take the time to
overhaul their whole system, now that they're rich and famous.

It will be interesting to see if the new OS is an improvement or just
another glitch plagued disaster that needs 4 years of patches before
it works. In the long run, I think Microsoft will be displaced by
Linux et al. if it doesn't reform.

Just my tiny opinion,
Marie