homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:33:47 -0600

On 12/16/06, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
<g> My second favorite is WordPerfect but they've gone and made it a sorry
mirror of Word or whatever current Microsoft piece of junk that is out
there. I used WP on those ooolllldddddd Apple IIes, oops age is showing <g>
I had WordStar on my old HP Touch Screen. Loved them both!

WordPerfect was nice in that you could reveal codes and find out what
was causing a glitch. Microsoft tried to replicate that but it wasn't
built that way and the overlay is clunky (just as the Windows overlay
on DOS isn't as good as Mac).

Sometimes the only way to format a document you get from multiple
sources is to strip it of all formatting. The most recent such
document that I worked on was made worse by the people putting
together the parts deciding that they had to make it look really,
really fancy. Spare me.

I don't have to do a lot in Word. Most of the computer work is with
the agency mainframe. Now there we have a dinosauer, and I figure
someday it will just crumble.

Marie, why computers have become such a focus when they ought to be a
tool -- like a hoe